• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Alerias

Field Marshal
7 Badges
Aug 10, 2002
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Victoria 2
  • 500k Club
  • Age of Wonders III
Greece's bloody resurrection in 1830 ushered the beginning of an new era for the Hellenic peoples, but was marred by the legacy of a long and painful war. After many sacrifices, the Treaty of London and Protocols of March recognized the independence of the sons of ancient Athens, but burdened them with economic misery, artificially constrained borders and the constant meddling of foreign powers in their internal affairs. Shorn of Thessalia, Macedonia and the Aegean Islands, it's population reduced below a million souls, treated as a convenient buffer state for it's strategic position near the Porte Sublime and forced to accept a foreign Prince on her very throne - Greece's return to the world stage seemed ominously ill-fated and the liberty of her people precarious.

Dreams of the forgotten glory of the Second Rome that once was theirs ignited in the sons of the revolution the desire to aspire to much greater things. As foreign factions battled for the ear of the King, the true leaders of the heroes who had bled to remove the Turks met secretly in the ruins of the Parthenon under gaze of the stars and the moon. Ancient eagles of Rome stood watch as they whispered of war and 'true' independence, whilst elaborately embroidered drapes of purple and gold covered the remnants of stone and marble. In these ruins fallen from grace, they swore oaths that would herald the beginning of the end for the dominance of the Ottoman Empire.

Chapter the First: From the Ashes of Freedom

Chapter the Second: Blood, Sand and Crowns

Chapter the Third: The Last Crusades

Chapter the Fourth: From Mecca to Crimea; Clash of the Titans

Chapter the Fith: The First Conquest of 'Istanbul'

. . .

450px-Constantine_XI_Palaiologos.jpg
grmontage.PNG

[Images shrunken too small in this AAR, despite my efforts to keep them visible, should be enlargeable with a right-click and through 'View Image' (Firefox) or 'Show Picture' (IE)]

[ Please note that this AAR is also an Entry in Alexspeed's Contest and uses Patch 1.2 and the latest version of his Map Improvement Package ]

Last edited:
Thank you for taking part in the contest and good luck!
I linked your thread in the contest list and will follow your AAR :)

Nice begin of your AAR, thank you :)
I guess your goal will be to bring Byzantinum back? or do you plan to stay Greece?

Nice begin of your AAR, thank you :)
I guess your goal will be to bring Byzantinum back? or do you plan to stay Greece?

Normally I'd say I'm keeping the surprise, but there's not much surprise when you start a Greek AAR on the day Byzantium is enabled, I suppose ;)

One of my goals, I admit, would be to restore Byzantium. Yet Im not too sure how, as it requires ownership of Thrace, the Ottoman capital, which I cant demand in a peace treaty... I'll play it out in game and see. If I have to take every inch of Ottoman land, well then, so be it.

Initially, I wanted to dazzle everyone with a daring early Conquest of Egypt, complete with around-Africa landings, but 1.2 made it so you cant use "Conquest" on countries with more than 5 regions. Good for balance I say! So now, I'm improvising ;)

Edit: I edited the screenshots to make sure they were "Shrunk" a little less. Sorry if there's a few oddities in the pictures. I wanted to preserve the "time stamps" so I had to move them around a bit, but I tried to make it look as normal as I could. Ill do my best to make future images as "readable" as the forum allows :)

In the meantime, you can view in full size any shrunken image with a right click on it and choosing "View Image" or "Show Graphic" (Depending on your browser).

Last edited:
I'll be watching this closely; I recently failed miserably at getting anywhere with Greece, so I'm keen to see how you do it.

I managed to get Crete, and even Thessalia, but after that my economy stagnated and I couldn't really do anything.

At any rate, good luck restoring the Empire; with a little luck, you might even get to emulate Megas Alexandros and spread Greek culture and greatness to the very ends of the Earth.

Good start, i wanted to read this a little earlier but due to forum downtime (i haven't been able to access the forum for TWO days...) i was unable to.

Are you using the Reactionary "Russian" government? or does the "Austrian" government actually exist?

is this in singleplayer or are you part of a multiplayer game? either way great start and nice job admiral! do i see a possible collapse of the foreign king for a certain admiral becoming the emperor someday >.>

Good start, i wanted to read this a little earlier but due to forum downtime (i haven't been able to access the forum for TWO days...) i was unable to.

Are you using the Reactionary "Russian" government? or does the "Austrian" government actually exist?

Otto was Austrian IRL, a Duke of some sort made King of Greece after the assassination of it's Greek Governor. As for the faction, I did not mention it specifically. but Im using the State capitalist reactionaries for now and will switch after a basic economy exists. In AAR terms, I will take some story liberties about the governmental structure if Greece becomes a Great Power, but the only way to actually get a party with a Greek name, is to wait until 1875 or change to Byzantium. I thought I could do the latter, but it turns out to be a very long-term prospect as Ive found no way to capture Thrace without nibbling the OE to its very last province, and the badboy limit could prove a hurdle of sorts ;)

Anyhow, I'll try to avoid spoilers. Chapter 2 should come soon.

Last edited:
A Duke of Bavaria if i am not mistaken, born in Austria.
From the little i know about him it seems that he was a man who did the best he could,
but ultimatly failed upon numerous reasons (no heir, wrong religion, internal power struggle, other powers messing with greece,...).

^ Same here - from what I heard he, otl timeline Otto was just an unlucky guy. This time line's Otto, on the other hand... Yikes. Hey, at least those awesome factions give you the ability to lay down some tracks, perfect for ferrying a growing military across the ground like a sea of shields. Heh, looking forward to seeing rightful Greek rule restored. If you're going for Byzantium (is that something new in 1.2?), then you'll probably need Istanbul, Smyrna, and Bursa; I think that was the highlight of the 'Megali Ideal'. Eris sez - this aughta be interesting. :D

"Chapter The First: From the Ashes of Freedom"

"When the dastardly Turks pillaged the Holy City, an angel rescued brave Saint Constantine XI, turned him into marble and safeguarded him in a cave under the sacred earth near the Golden Gate. He still awaits to be brought to life again to free the City for Christendom and restore the Roman Empire." - Legend of the Marble King, rallying cry of the Hellenic War of Independence.

revolt.JPG

The War of Independence had been long and brutal. Years of sacrifice and courage on land and sea led to Greece's freedom. It marked the first time a Christian nation escaped Ottoman yoke.

Alas the victory was incomplete, as the Great Powers ordained a foreign prince upon the Hellenic Throne, and the political dance of their foreign factions still had much sway in the daily affairs of the young 'independent' Kingdom. But many still remembered what Greece once had been and knew what it could be once again.

The bravest revolutionaries, and the truest Greeks, were now amongst the military leaders of the young but impoverished nation. Secretly, they sought military solutions to the weakness imposed by the restrictive borders that had been decreed by the West. It was a dangerous path; one that made more painful sacrifices loom on the horizon. But the Thourios - the hymn to freedom - sang, 'Better one hour of freedom, than forty years of slavery!' Too many good men had died to see this dream forgotten.

United in secrecy, they convinced to this end their Austrian 'King' to expand the Greek Navy, indenting his empty coffers to foreign nations, and looked abroad. Strategic alliances with Serbia, Naples, and the Papal States solidified Greece's strategic situation in an epoch where friends were sorely lacking.

After all, 1836 was a year of turmoil unseen since the Hundred Days. Germans fought Denmark over Holstein, the French plowed deep into the remnants of Algeria, Central and South America were set ablaze, and glorious Albion expanded her Indian holdings in foreign Burma. None of that was lost on the most ambitious of Greece's military leaders, the very young but skilled Admiral Leonidas Nider.

Realizing the brutal expansion of the Great Powers' colonial empires was ample pretext to create Greece's own, he lobbied for a Tunisian adventure that would empower Hellenic economy and show the world that Greece was much more than the puppet Western Thrones would have wished it to be.

gr1.JPG

Having ferried thousands of troops to Africa at unprecedented speed, despite it's limited size, Nider's young Navy would receive much of the credit of victory.

gr2.JPG

His demands for Empire led to the proclamation of the 'Hellenic Protectorate of Tunis', recognized by the foreign Capitals after the last of Maghrebi resistance was crushed in late May, 1837.

The gold of Tunis paid much of the debts incurred for it's conquest. Though poor by the standards of the Great Powers, the land was fruitful and it's inhabitants surprisingly docile once freed from Tunis' brutality. The race towards bankruptcy initiated not long before was entirely reversed by the spoils of victory. Ordinary Greeks were pleased by the news, but for the leaders of Greece's military, this was simply financial means to satisfy their true ambitions. King Otto, the foreigner thrust upon them, sitting on his golden throne in Athens, never fully realized that his removal was the first and foremost of them all.

These ambitions were however not all meant to be immediate. Especially after Greece started to flourish due to a series of new policies linked to it's new doctrine of 'Freedom of Trade', most thought peace would last awhile.

But soon, Egypt's finest were drawn in a battle in the depths of Sudan against Ethiopia. Egypt, the very upstart that had, despite theoretical Ottoman suzerainty, pushed her armies into the depths of Anatolia itself. The Powers looked at it warily because of the threat it posed to Constantinople - not out of love for the Porte Sublime, but out of fear for the Russian Empire's own ambitions upon the Second Rome. It's in this context, that "Istanbul", through generous western backing, was given the means to recover it's own lands in Anatolia. Fighting on two fronts, the Egyptians and their negligible navy were hard pressed to defend anything else.

Of course, the foreign King said 'No'. Otto proved he cared not for the Greeks in Crete suffering under uncivilized masters from Cairo. Because of his stubbornness, it was technically an act of treason when Leonidas Nider, Grand Admiral of the Hellenic fleet, sailed at sea with thousands of patriots who landed without guilt in Chania, Iraklion, Adana and Antioch. Yet, as soon as it was plain to see that Egyptian resistance was collapsing everywhere, the King was quick to proclaim that they were fighting in his name, to recover the Aegan islands occupied by Cairo. But by then, everyone knew who truly deserved the credit for these stunning victories. The Admiral's name was chanted in the streets of Athens.

The unlikely alliance with the Ottoman Empire did disturb a few... Quite obviously, by attacking Adana and Antioch, Greece helped the Turk achieve it's own aims. And yet the glory of victory was certainly all but bittersweet.

gr3.JPG

The battles of Antioch and Aleppo convinced Cairo to sue for peace. In January 1839, Egypt returned Crete to Greece, and mustered the remnant of it's armies in a vain bid to stop the Turks.

After this triumph, the rogue Admiral returned victorious into the port of Athens, arms intertwined with General Spyros Typaldos, the 'Hero of Antioch'. It's no surprise that the King welcomed them with open arms, as if they were his prodigal sons...

The peace that ensued was much welcome. The first, experimental railroads soon after appeared around Athens under the guidance of foreign advisors of the Russian faction who suggested prudent 'State-guided Capitalism'. Soon, the construction of a Winery - the first factory in Greece - began in earnest near Athens.

But the Officer corps was increasingly dissatisfied. Weekly, reports came in of Turks oppressing their Greek minorities in what should be Northern Greece, and calling them traitors. Yet, there was very little hope that the small Greek state could challenge the Ottoman Empire. Even despite its slow decay, it remained a Great Power, and indeed, some in Athens worried over the increasing influence in wielded over the Royal Court. There was only one true solution: If the Turks were to be sufficiently distracted and then defeated soundly enough, there may yet come a time when they could no longer exert power or influence over foreign states. Away from the ears of foreign advisors, this hope became the foolhardy doctrine of the military. Secret envoys at the four corners of Europe, tales of Ancient Greece on their lips, tried somehow to plant seeds of war in foreign Courts.

gr4.JPG

In the meantime, severe and oppressive reforms swept across the land. Beautiful Greek islands became Royal prisons, and Tunisia was exploited mercilessly by King Otto's Austrian 'advisors'.

But much comes to those who know how to wait. Tensions brewed on the borders of the Ottoman Empire. The weakness of Istanbul, almost conquered by Egyptian barbarians, had not gone unnoticed. Spain, once Catholic Fidei Defensor, decided it wished to dominate key soil near the Holy Land. Once their navies and troops seemed to be making headway, Russia, and it's eternal ambition to fight it's way to a port on the Indian Ocean, set it's eyes on Kars. Soon, the Empire was ablaze. But... though Greece had come a long way, it was still weak. Little more than thirty thousand men were all that could be thrown into any war. Otto, of course, called it foolish and forbade it imperiously! It's should come as no surprise that the Generals disobeyed.

gr5.JPG

With shouts of "For Saint Constantine, the Marble Emperor!" the frigates' carronades set occupied Thessalia ablaze. With the Janissaries pinned in the Levant and Kars, there was hope at last!

The coming conflict could change the very course of History. Would the centuries-old Ottoman Empire restore it's rule over the Middle East and the Balkans? Would a handful of upstarts defeat those who had once shaken the very gates of mighty Vienna? Any betting man in Europe would have put his gold on the former...

Last edited:
Chapter the Second: Blood, Sand and Crowns

There is no doubt that the invasion of the Empire in 1841 was a terrible gamble - one that would would cost much blood. But it was also sacred duty to spill this blood to reunite the land, lest that spilled in the War of Independence have been shed in vain. More importantly, there had been a pressing, unspoken threat that required war: the Ottoman's Empire growing attempt to join other foreign courts in trying to assert its influence over the Greek state. Such a thing could not have been allowed to come to pass; war was a necessity.

When the Greeks first laid siege to the Ottoman fortresses and pushed into their provinces, there was a small hope that the wars raging far in the East would spare them costly battles. The hope was quickly dashed by the Ottoman 5th Army, a reserve unit in the Balkans that by itself matched the numbers of all the Greek armies. As the Turks advanced, the Hellens' navy also had to withdraw from the sea in face of a much larger fleet.

It could have spelt the end of the adventure right there, had the Turks been led as superbly as the Greeks. Commanding the Stratos Magna Grecia and Thessalias was Spyros Typaldos-Alfonsatos, by far the finest young land General in the army - one who played successfully his sole advantages; greater mobility and artillery superiority. His opponent, Ali Bey, was an average commander at best, and his textbook strategies hounded him until the utterly annihilation of the 5th Army.

gr2%20A.JPG

After their victory at Larisa, General Typaldos pursued Bey's troops and forced several skirmishes, culminating in their destruction at Edessa. Much blood was spilled to achieve it.

As the Greeks sieged the cities of Thessalia, they breathed with relief. They heard of battles in the north, as the Serbs had joined the war on their side - but no more Turkish armies seemed to be headed their way. Most were pinned in far away battlefields, and the Greek commanders did not waste a minute recapturing Greek towns across the land. True to himself, their cautious King started to applaud their efforts prudently, even as he tried to negotiate a truce behind closed curtains.

But all was not well: the losses at Larisa had been high and replacing the fallen was difficult - manpower was short, and in the spring of '42, it's Bedouins from Africa who came to shore up the Greek ranks. Just in time for disastrous news.

gr2%20B.JPG

Serbia resisted brilliantly, but the Ottomans knocked her out of the war by burning down Belgrade. Spain soon after left Aleppo, her overconfident armies thrown back into the sea!

Everything then seemed in jeopardy. Fresh Ottoman troops marched on Greece by land, others came by sea. The overextended Greeks and their Tunisian reinforcements seemed unlikely to resist. The West's advisors urged and pleaded with the King to find a way to sign peace whilst he could - even if all he could get was a handful of border towns. The military was quite forceful in demanding his full support for the war effort, and insisted on regaining even more than 'just' Thessalia.

Otto hesitated and played both sides well into the Fall, where a great battle took place near liberated Janina. The Ottomans now had skilled leadership and stronger forces. Envoys from the King urged the Stratos Thessalias to stand down at the last minute. But then they saw the ships. A large warfleet approached the port, flying battle-standards of the Two Sicilies. On board, Admiral Nider himself prepared the landing of a vast Italian army, ready for battle.

gr2%20C.JPG

The friendship of the Sicilians would long be remembered. Only a few thousand Turks escaped Janina, only to be dispatched once more by the allied armies at Florina.

Florina and Janina marked the beginning of a Turkish rout. Though the war would last almost for a year still, thanks in part to the Russian advance in Anatolia, the Ottomans could seemingly no longer mount any serious counterattack. Sicilian ships blockaded the Straits and Greek armies marched in deep in Bulgaria. For a few precious moments, some even dared to dream of Constantinople.

But when it became clear that the Russians were about to end their offensive, the catholic King finally had his way. The state coffers were not just empty; the debt of the State was mounting at an alarming rate. The time had come to get the best deal possible and end this war. After almost two years of fighting, Greece needed to breathe.

gr2%20D.JPG

The gains were considerable, but the victories had been so stunning that the majority of the population expect more and demanded even more attempts at expansion.

Across Europe the Greek victory surprised and won applause. The little Greek state had defeated a titan, and forced everyone to rethink the balance of power in the region. The recovered lands were rightfully Greek, so no one could raise complaints. At home, support for policies aiming at 'liberating' the rest of the Greeks under Ottoman yoke skyrocketed. Indeed, increasingly, its 'All Christians' that some wanted 'freed'! King Otto wanted to hear none of it, expecting decades of peace to consolidate his unexpected gains. These endless wars had cost him far too much precious sleep already.

Knowing another war with the Ottomans impossible, but wishing to channel the popular outbursts of Jingoism, Nider pushed for another colonial adventure. "A short little war, it will pay for itself. Remember what's flowing in from Tunisia! It'll appease the masses!" Otto shook his head, but the Grand Admiral's advice was becoming downright dangerous to ignore. Since his arrival at Janina, especially, the whole army was at his beck and call. And he was, it seems, equally skilled at politics. Russian pressure in his favor was such, that Otto had to award him domains in conquered lands and grant him leave to prepare an expedition to the desert.

Algeria, once an Ottoman domain, had now largely been conquered by France, and was reduced to the region of Constantine. The fine iron of Constantine and Biskra was highly praised in Europe and in high-demand by many militaries. It's extraction had been slow and inefficient since the French wars, and the Greeks promised their merchants to restore supply. Perhaps this argument even helped win over foreign indifference, as the Stratos crossed the border.

gr2%20E.JPG

A short little war. Indeed, the Algerians were in no shape to oppose any serious resistance. But the burning sands of the desert took their toll nonetheless. The sun was as deadly as the enemy.

gr2%20F.JPG

The Russian Empire supported the venture and funded much of it. The Tsar's own ambitions towards Constantinople made him for a time a natural ally for the Greeks.

But as the brave warriors of Athens braved sun and sand on foreign battlefields, much was happening at home and in the capitals of Europe. Assertive Athens' star shone increasingly bright, and even the leaders of the West could not miss the stark contrast with the Ottomans' decrepitude. Early in 1844, Spain - despite it's defeats in Aleppo - was now accorded much more consideration than the Porte Sublime. And as the Algerian campaign was drawing to a close, the Powers' eyes were on Athens. There was now little doubt - the balance of power had changed.

gr2%20G.JPG

The King expected the prestige to be his', but the people were chanting Lord Nider's name. Otto, skilled diplomat, offered him to lead the government in his name as Greece asserted itself.

The young Admiral could have been content with such an arrangement, but his supporters were not. "Greece is a great power, heir of Rome, heart of Orthodoxy - and must be ruled so!" was an argument spreading like wildfire. Nider always had minor titles, but there were now persistent rumors across Greece that his bloodline descended from old Byzantine royalty! It seemed like a gross fabrication, if only because it was far too convenient, but the word would just not die - because no one wanted it to. The clamor for a Greek King became such that most expected a Palace coup to be imminent, at home and abroad.

"Nor ruthless enough to be feared, nor compassionate enough to be loved, nor competent enough to be respected, not Christian enough to be ordained by God!" was how the young Otto would later be described by Greek historians. Far from being bolstered by Greece's growing status, the state's victories only weakened him. "Greeks won freedom and glory in the name of the Holy Faith of Christ - yet our Prince bows to the Bishop of Rome and sabotages our national resurrection!" they were the words of General Yannis Makriyannis who marched line infantry under Greek flags through the central square under the cheers of the populace. The crowd would not relent, and numerous public figures, officers and nobles made passionate speeches calling for a new Monarchy.

Makrygiannis.jpg
General and Mayor Makriyannis, who 'defied' his friend and Prime Minister to 'force' him to accept the 'burden' of a Crown.

It's in this context that Nider returned to Athens triumphantly in late October. Skilled politician, he first professed loyalty and exalted the service of the sitting King, saying he was honored by his new positions. His entrance into Athens was regal and triumphant nonetheless. The leader waited until the crowd's demands became very forceful before speaking, declaring forcefully that he would not usurp a Crown - that he would not be King unless it was offered legitimately. But in private, this only helped to raise the pressure on Otto to unsustainable levels. He was not even King in his palace anymore. On the first of November, everything unfolded.

gr2%20H.JPG

"Long live the King!" By the Grace of God, Constantine XII, King of the Greeks, Protector of the Patriachs!

In exchange for quietly abdicating the Throne and professing loyalty - Otto was spared exile and made Duke of Neopatras. He never again had any other role in public affairs, but was never again conspired against - indeed it appears he and his family enjoyed considerable royal protection. Nonetheless, as the years passed, the Duke of Neopatras' poor skills at management would impoverish his personal fortune. In his late years, he would turn to poetry and music. Today, translated in many languages and given modern rhythms, Otto's writings have been made into modern music. [LYRICS]

Regardless, at the time, these events understandably stirred confusion across Europe, but given the orderly transition and Greece's new standing, there was ultimately little opposition. The decision to use a Byzantine royal name and to claim a long-forgotten title such as 'Protector of the Patriarchs' caused concerns of Imperial ambition and claims to Rome - but it was ultimately a compromise; many had apparently suggested that Constantine crown himself Emperor of the Holy City rather than King of the Hellens.

The agitation died down rapidly. Ironically, the surprising accession to power of an aggressive military leader led to the first substantive period of peace in the region in decades. Diplomatic offensives to court Europe and to gain the loyalty of neighboring states were in full swing. Efforts to pay down the still-impressive Greek debt one of the priorities of the King. More importantly, Greeks now ruled Greece, and there was no longer dissent at every royal decision, though mighty Britain especially was said to have mourned it's resulting loss of influence in the region.

Efforts to build a basic industry expanded, but were slow to progress beyond basic railroads for lack of able craftsmen. Greece's core population was unfortunately still small despite it's stature, complicating efforts - and despite over a decade of encouragement to the Clergy to educate the masses, the literacy levels remained low. With purple on his shoulders, Leonidas-now-Constantine understood for the first time that foreign conquests could not be his sole focus. Yet, the liberation of Greek lands could help correct demographic weakness; making the path of war an option to be considered.

But such concerns were not public affairs at the time. 1845 saw just the opposite: heralded as a brilliant jewel, Athens, a city in full expansion, garnered attention and glories from abroad, and reaped the fruits of her conquests triumphally. The Greeks, now united, formed an impressive society.

gr2%20I.JPG

The way people wrote about it, it almost sounded like the King had conquered India. The reality was less glorious, but the Maghrebi colonies did contribute much wealth to the small Kingdom.

As he prepared the future, the King wanted to know in detail the state of the realm. The great surveys of 1845 also marked the first comprehensive efforts at documenting Greek society.

Every issue, every person, every expense - everything now had to be documented to help improve the management of the Kingdom. [Click Picture to Enlarge]

The King's thoughts turned often to the many Greeks still living within the Ottoman Empire. Military development continued - first and foremost the expansion of the manpower pool that had been so nearly drained in the last conflict. Technologically, observers were sent to Prussia to help improve tactics and strategy. As he courted all around him, Constantine's icy disposition towards the Porte Sublime left little to imagination regarding the long-term purposes of his industrial and military efforts.

But the world was vast and there were other enemies jealous of the amount of attention such a tiny state was now receiving. Expansion in unexpected directions was entirely imaginable - and the riches of Egypt and the glory of Holy Land were one of the most tempting alternatives. Undoubtedly, 1846 and beyond would offer many surprises.

The State of the World in late 1845. The 'Great Power' of Greece little more than a speck of sand in a desert of jealous Crowns. [Click Picture to Enlarge]

Last edited:
Yes, Ive prepared a full world map and a charts-compilation circa the end of Chapter 2, about 10 years after game start.

I swear the screenshots take more time than the writing :D

Good start.:) Looking forward to the painting of Anatolia in lovely purple.:D

Thank you Alerias for the second chapter,
it was a enjoyable read, allready a great power, youre doing well :)

Your AAR looks better now with the introduction posting and the chapter list.